Saturday 30 May 2009

Natural Colourants

Infusing oil with various bits of plants is what I'm now dabbling in. I think synthetic colours look fabulous but at the end of the day, they're synthetic and something I'm not for one moment considering adding to my 100% natural soaps.

This natural pink was achieved by infusing yellow dock root powder to the olive oil and left to sit for a few days. I used a piece of cheese cloth to strain it otherwise I would have ended up with speckles.Photobucket


Alkanet root provides the perfect purple although some may mistake it for grey. I think it's mega cool. The star anise pods were a last minute thing and they smell divine. Both of these soaps are unscented because it was colour I was experimenting with. I think the next time I use these colourants, I'll be scenting the purple one with anise or patchouli, maybe both. As for the pink, I'm yet to decide. Time to buy some more essential oils I think.

Photobucket




Alkanet root powder in olive oil (left) 
Spirulina I'm yet to use (right)

Photobucket


2 comments: