Tuesday 3 February 2009

Ogle At My First Batch

One day I decided to make soap. After watching Fight Club followed by hours of youtube soap tutorial vids, I was ready. I bought the equipment needed and various oils including *gasp* palm oil. If I had known all that I do now about palm oil, I wouldn't have bought it. For those of you scratching your heads watch this. In future I will be leaving palm oil out of my soap and using various alternatives.

Here you can see my first batch sitting cosy in a drawer (curing). I used the cold process method simply because I don't have a crock pot and it seemed like a good place to start. My recipe used the following oils:
  • Peanut 
  • Olive 
  • Coconut 
  • Palm 
  • Macadamia nut 
  • Castor
  • Sunflower 
  • Apricot kernel
The little black freckles you can see are poppy seeds which are apparently good for exfoliation. I did drop in some lavender oil but only a little bit and it might not have been enough. Only time will tell. I plan to document my soapy experiments in this blog so that I will be able to learn from my mistakes and receive feedback from fellow soapers.

3 comments:

  1. Looks cute. When using oils you need to measure about .7-1 oz per pound.
    Hopefully it came out okay, otherwise, you can always advertise it as lightly scented, or unscented- depending on how it comes out.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh right, I was well off then. I think I was afraid of over doing it. Thanks for that tip ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. My beet root juice is always a mystery color too.

    ReplyDelete